Thursday, December 8, 2011

First Day - Currency, Crepes and Nietzche




Tuesday drive to the airport - thanks Judson! - was enlivened by the sight of TWO bald eagles perching over the swamp by the side of the road - if I were superstitious, this would be a very good omen! Overnight flight uneventful, sleepless. Quick cab ride to the place here in Brussels and as I pay the cabbie - a nice young fellow - he says he can't change the 50Euro note that I just got from the cash machine. A mad search in the darkness - it's pretty much night-like at 7:30 AM here - nobody can change this fifty! No shops are open, no passersby have the cash - we drive around, we try another cash machine - only fifties - and finally I give him US$. I knew I should have bought a coffee at the airport!

The place is wonderful - spacious, modern, with a roof garden that makes me wish we were here in May! We nap - and half a day later, we get up! Walk around to orient ourselves and buy house food - and we find a delightful local park. A few pictures here - the walk way is paved with stones in an interesting pattern - and eventually I realize that many are old grave stones - not at all creepy, quite an interesting detail in fact.

Dinner at the neighborhood french cuisine restaurant, La Marquis - magnificent food, mussels with a sort of creamy lobster bisque sauce,french fries from paradise, veal cordon bleu with homemade noodles, and a heavenly apple crepe for dessert! And Karim the Moroccan owner, dapper in a silk jacket and jeans, funny in French and Franglais - we end up somehow discussing why he is an atheist, what role the thinking of Nietzche and others played, etc etc. Great first day!

I spent a little time thinking about fundraising for ECON - I hope readers are ready - there's a pitch coming. Investing in democracy, supporting good work, a great opportunity...the letter will tell the story.

Today we're off to tour - lace, chocolate, art...we'll see what we see!

3 comments:

  1. Nice way to begin my day in Tucson, AZ, with a fantasy,at least for me, meal, and a big smile, I am sending you a chilly (only because it is 30 degrees outside) Tucson hello! I actually have to scrape ice off my car this morning as I head out to yoga. Thanks for the storyline Dave. Hi Lindsay. Mariska

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave & Lindsey -- WE ARE SO JEALOUS! I can smell that sauce from the mussels here at my desk. We're glad you will be adequately fortified for the work ahead. We're sending good thoughts your way (the twin eagles are definitely an omen). We look forward to hearing all about the trip when we're next together. Love to you both -- Carolyn, Peter, Tom & Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this old trick only exists in Hungary, that cab drivers do not have change especially when nothing is open. This way they can keep all the money. Now I can see the EU drivers learned from the Hungarians joining EU. There is some benefit for some.. Never get into a cab without asking in advance how much (we know this also from NY) and have enough change always! I am looking forward welcoming you in Budapest, I tested the shower and works, so I am ready! As well as my Mom with the chestnut puree. Enjoy your vacation, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete